Our approach to business is guided by our commitments to honesty, integrity, and respect for our customers, our employees, and our community. We believe in using resources wisely and are committed to reducing the environmental impacts of our activities. Toward this end, A & H Painting has adopted the following Sustainability Principles:
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards for environmental protection.
- To maintain our LEEDS and Lead-Safe certifications and continue to participate in government and community initiatives to promote sustainable industry practices.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all of our business decisions.
- To ensure that all employees are trained in and follow environmentally responsible work procedures.
- To make clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy and encourage them to adopt sustainable management practices.
- To regularly review and seek opportunities to improve our sustainability performance.
Our Sustainability Objectives
A & H Painting has established the following objectives for office and job-site activities:
- Identify areas of highest energy consumption and reduce consumption in these areas.
- Ensure all lighting and electrical equipment is switched off, or to standby when not in use.
- Ensure all existing equipment is maintained and serviced regularly to ensure efficient operation.
- Replace older equipment with more energy-efficient alternatives where practical
- Continue efforts to reduce printing and the amount of paper used through electronic invoicing and correspondence.
- Recycle printer cartridges, paper, glass, metal, and plastics where appropriate.
- Avoid physically travelling to meetings where alternatives are available and practical, such as using teleconferencing and efficient timing of meetings to avoid multiple trips.
SBE, DBE Certified / EPA Lead Safe Certified
- Continue to seek and use the durable coatings that last longer and are more economical for customers.
- Continue to seek and use local suppliers whenever possible and practical.
- Continue to seek and use only low-VOC solvents and paints.
- Continue to order in bulk where possible to save time and fuel.
- Design work schedules to avoid rush hour traffic whenever possible.
- Continue to encourage car-pooling and green transportation arrangements for employees.
- Continue to seek and use supplies with less packaging
- Purchase good-quality rollers and brushes rather than using disposable items.
- Continue to employ the highest qualified painters to reduce need for rework and return visits.
- Leave leftover paint cans on site with customer for touching up if practical or donate leftover paint to charitable groups.
- Strain and re-use solvents when practical.
- Keep trucks serviced regularly and tire pressure at the maximum.
- Replace vehicles with more fuel-efficient alternatives when possible.
Sustainability Policy Review and Reporting
A&H Painting President Glenda Hernandez serves as the company’s Director of Sustainability and company managers serve on the Sustainability Committee. The committee meets quarterly to review the company’s progress on meeting its sustainability objectives and to set goals for the next quarter.
A&H employees will participate in sustainability training annually and periodic updates and reminders are communicated to employees as opportunities arise. A&H employees are encouraged to submit suggestions for saving time, money, energy, and for improving sustainability practices throughout the year.